Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2015

A Backwards Love

A Backwards Love

Is it love?
If you say
“That dress really compliments your curvy figure.”
And I smile at the mirror,
because you think I look nice.
But then you add,
“But you could afford to drop a few pounds.”
And I want to cry,
because I’m expecting this from everyone,
but just not you.

Is it love?
If you say
“You have such beautiful legs.”
And I’m crossing my fingers
hoping thats it,
praying that you really think
I look pretty.
(I’m not even hoping for beautiful!)
But you’re not done;
you keep talking.
“But don’t wear those shorts, you look like a slut.”
And I’m so disappointed,
because you proved me right,
but I wanted so much to be wrong.

It doesn’t matter if you’re trying to help,
you’re the one who’s supposed to support me.
You’re the one I’m supposed to run crying to,
not run crying from.

And it doesn’t matter
how hard I try,
and how much I change,
because I’ll never be just right.
But I don’t care.

Because I still try,
and I change everything
for you,
because you love me
and I love you.

But is it love?

And if you can understand nothing else,
realize this:
If this is your way of showing love,
you need to try harder.

Because no matter how much I change,
and how hard I try,
there’s always something that needs fixing.

And no matter how hard I try to hide it,
it still hurts.

It’s because of you.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem!

    I enjoyed your ability to portray the emotions of the poem so well! Also, the stanzas are well organized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you ended the poem and how it has a different color from the rest of the lines. Also, I think the way you have the first two stanzas organized in the same way really emphasizes the meaning of the poem and the emotions you are conveying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very strong message in your poem, and the stanzas flow really well together. The ending was well done and gave the poem closure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the message in this poem. Its so clear and really makes you feel a sense of empathy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am in love with this poem and how much emotion you put into it. this poems very relatable for me i just LOVE it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your poem, and I love how much heart and soul you put into it. It's really hard to put yourself out there like this and post a poem from your soul and i congratulate your courage and even more amazing is how good your poem is! Your message is so relatable and meaningful well done:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your repetition of "But is this love? because just when it seems like you have found peace with the person from the poem, you question it again.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.