Pages

Friday, April 24, 2015

A Short Intro on Secrets

The Egg


What is it about secrets that makes it so hard for them to be secret?


Where does it come from, this gust of wind that blows these secrets
like dust particles drifting into different windows of different homes
of different owners
Person A doesn’t necessarily dust her home
and Person B might just leave it and sneeze
and then it gets to Person E who was staying just for the night
it’s just a secret


What is it about the trust someone has in you
that makes it so easy to break?
an egg that you’ve made impossible to hold carefully
Does it have to be explicitly labeled
with the big bold letters of CONFIDENTIAL
for you to soften your powerful hands?


is it really so hard to protect a single egg at a time?
And what happens with the casual, “don’t tell anyone”?
does that make the fact that someone shouldn’t tell anyone, a more casual matter?
is the eggshell less fragile or is its fragility less important?
perhaps this casual “don’t tell anyone” is set to the side as you tell someone, anyone.
and while you think that you’ve repeated
how CRUCIAL it is that NO ONE knows
enough times
what is it that impacts the receiver the most?
what drives her to remain a keeper, or doesn’t matter enough
for her to become a passer
 
Because in the end
it is true
that the opportunity to break the egg
came with the egg

as you uttered the words, “don’t tell anyone.”

-Margo Lusinchi

4 comments:

  1. I can relate to what you wrote about secrets and how people always tell them. I also like your comparison of a secret to an egg and how they're both fragile and easily breakable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you compared trust and a secret to an egg, to how fragile each thing is. I also like how you compared the secrets spreading to dust particles spread by wind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you used all of the rhetorical questions and I LOVE the ending. The last few lines are so powerful and wrap up the whole poem/idea really well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ending of this is so powerful because it just shows how there it is always risky to trust someone. I also really like the first line because it's a clever play one words.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.