Pages

Friday, October 10, 2014

Hope in Music

Hope in Music
The author uses the symbol of the narrator’s violin to demonstrate the hope the narrator feels that he will get out of re-education as a result of his talents, and that he will be able to lead the life he wants as a violinist in the future. The violin also represents the narrator’s connection to the bourgeois class and to his privileged upbringing, a stark contrast to the life he leads now through re-education.

“...as I ran my swollen fingers over the strings, Mozart’s phrases came flooding back to me like so many faithful friends. The peasants’ faces, so grim a moment before, softened under the influence of Mozart’s limpid music like parched earth under a shower...”(6).

“Some day, perhaps, once I was an accomplished violinist, some modest local or regional propaganda committee-in the district of Yong Jing, for instance-might open their doors to me... But Luo couldn’t play the violin, I reflected, and he wasn’t much good at basketball or football either”(18).

9 comments:

  1. I like that you saw the violin as a symbol for hope rather than just a bourgeois fascination for the narrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how your thesis statement is straight and to the point instead of wandering around like others. I also like how your quotes look towards the future and how they are about their hopes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the way you described the symbolism represents what the narrator feels really well. I agree that the violin, to him, represents his home and his desire to leave re-education. I also think that the quotes you chose are good representations of the narrator's feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quotes that you used really suited your symbol and idea. It all worked well together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your thoughts that the violin relates to hope, and I like how you also connected it to the contrast between the narrator and the villagers lives. I also liked the quotes you chose to represent your analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked how for your thesis, you thought of something more than just happiness or music. It made me think as to why you said these things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that the violin showed hope for Sieji getting out of the re-education.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that the choice of the violin was very smart, and you guys really conveyed the points well to demonstrate why the violin is a symbol of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your analysis is really thorough and unique!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.