The serene landscape:
Dried, golden-brown grass,
The pines piling up high on the immortal hills,
And the ever lasting gorgeous blue sky looking down upon us.
We picked up our horns,
Condensation covering their bodies from the cool morning.
The drum major raised his arms,
With a certain peace that a mother has for her baby.
We breathed in unison,
As his hands queued us to start doing what we loved most.
A deer poked it’s head out of the trees at the back of the field,
And the glistening sun heated our “just-sunscreened” bodies.
We played the note,
Each person holding the concentration of a surgeon performing brain surgery.
A satisfied look covered the drum major’s face,
His hands creating a circle that ended with him closing his palms.
The band stopped playing.
Off in the horizon, the note continued moving forward,
Although no air was moving through the instruments any longer.
It echoed through the hills,
Leaving a sweet sound in the distance.
My heart felt warm inside of my body full of goosebumps,
I forgot about anything else,
School being just a distant memory.
I felt a peace,
One which I had not felt in a while.
A peace of a mother singing to a baby.
The stress of my daily life vanished,
Into thin air.
I really love the imagery and the meaning of this poem.
ReplyDeleteI love the imagery and descriptions in this poem. And I love how you connected the topic to marching band:)
ReplyDeleteThe imagery and sensory detail in this poem is amazing! I also noticed how you talked about band :)
ReplyDeleteI like the sensory detail of this poem! It adds a very nice effect. I also like the metaphors that you used to describe the conductor, music, etc.
ReplyDelete