Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Your Worst Enemy

Your Worst Enemy

The battle rages on.
Roaring flames of adversity
Curl around every limb
And singe the innermost layer of skin.

Ice-like claws pierce the underlying depths of the mind,
Groping at the thoughts that swirl in its hollows,
Prodding hopelessly at the intractable stalemate.

Stop.
Let go.
Put down the gun that you hold in your mind's eye;
Release the trigger that you taunt with the tip of your finger.

There will never be a victor.
For if you fight it, it will fight back with just as much vigor.
But if you turn your back to the cries for war,
Step out from under the shadow of corruption that consumes you,
You can reach reconciliation with your worst enemy:
Yourself.

Only then will you find true peace.



5 comments:

  1. I love the figurative language that you use, and I like they way you write about opposites, that are equal. Also, your image relates perfectly with your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your picture really connects with your poem :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you found a different picture than just a yin yang sign, and the topic about inner turmoil really interests me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. You're imagery and figurative language in this poem is super awesome to read. Also, you're image fits your poem perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like you imagery as well as the picture!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.